Claim Form Order

Serving A Claim Form Order

What’s it for?

Serving a claim is very important, as you cannot do anything else to progress your case until the defendant has been served with the court documents. There are special rules about how you can serve your claim on the defendant, depending on whether they are a person or a company or similar.

When you start a claim in the Magistrates Court, you are normally responsible for organising someone to serve the claim on the defendant. This could be done yourself, or you can pay the court to ask the sheriff or bailiff to serve the defendant for you. You also have the option of paying for a private process server company such as Diem legal to serve the documents on your behalf.

How does Diem Legal serve a claim form order?

To properly serve documents on a person, you must hand the documents:

  • directly to the person
  • to their parent, guardian or litigation guardian if the person is a child or has a legal disability
  • to someone at the person’s usual or last known place of residence/business who is reasonably believed to be an adult
  • to someone who is authorised in writing to receive documents for the person, or to an agent or lawyer who is acting for the person.

If a person (or their parent/guardian/refuses to take the documents, we can serve them by telling them about the nature of the claim and the documents, and leaving the documents somewhere in their presence (for example, on a table or on the ground in front of them).

Is there a time limit on serving the claim?

As stated in rule 7.5(1), the claimant or their representatives must effect service within four calendar months of the date of issue of the proceedings.

Need more information on serving a claim form? Contact us.

Please note: The above is not meant to constitute legal advice. The law changes regularly and as such we recommend speaking to a legal professional for clarification.

Download the Diem Legal price list
Need to find someone? 24 hour process service Indemnity insurance


Sign up to our newsletter

Enter your details to sign up to our newsletter.